Recipe: Grilled Ribeye with Compound Butter
If you’re new to anchovies, make sure you read our review so you know what kind to start with. If you think you don’t like anchovies, try this recipe. The saltiness and oceanic flavor of the anchovies melds beautifully with fresh grilled ribeye steak. We chose to serve the ribeye with a saute’ of mushrooms. Delicious!
Difficulty (out of 5): 3
Ingredients for Compound Butter and Ribeye Steak:
1 tin of Star anchovies
3 large basil leaves, chopped fine
1 tsp pepper
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 ribeye steak (grass fed preferable)
Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Mushroom Saute:
1 cup assorted mushrooms (we used morel and chanterelle, but you can use any of your favorites)
2 tbls chopped fresh sage (if you only have dried, use 1 tbls)
1 clove of garlic
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 tbls clarified butter
2 tbls dry sherry
1. Remove butter from refrigeration about an hour before preparing this dish. It is easier to work with room temperature butter.
2. Prepare grill pan or barbecue. We want the grill to be as hot as possible. This can take up to 30 mins. While your grill heats…
3. Combine butter, anchovies, basil and pepper in a food processor. Blend to combine.
4. Move mixture onto the edge of a large sheet of plastic wrap. Pull up the edge of the plastic wrap and roll the butter mixture into a tube. Twist off both ends and place butter in the freezer for between 10 and 15 minutes. You can also do this step the night before. If so, you can store the butter in your refrigerator until needed.
5. In a medium saute’ pan, warm clarified butter over medium high heat until the butter is melted and starts to glisten.
6. Add red onion. Cook until soft (about 10 minutes).
7. Season ribeye with salt and pepper. Because of the compound butter, you may not need to salt the steak as liberally as you might otherwise. Place ribeye onto hot grill. Depending on thickness and desired doneness, cook between 2 and 5 minutes per side.
8. Add mushrooms and garlic to saute’ pan. Cook until garlic smell is less pungent (about 1 minute).
9. Add sage and sherry to saute’. Cook until steak is ready.
10. Remove butter from refrigeration. Remove ribeye from grill and let rest for 2-5 minutes.
11. Plate by slicing discs of the butter and placing them on the ribeye. Place mushrooms beside ribeye. Garnish with basil if desired. Serves 1.